Monday, May 10, 2010

staying focused Elder Kelly Conrad

Mom and Dad 09 May 2010

It was good to talk to everyone today. I was so caught up in the
moment that I forgot to tell you Happy Mother's Day mom! I hope we talked
about everything we needed to. It felt really good talking to all of you. It
really helped me see that when my mission is over it doesn't mean that my
life is over. I realized when talking to everyone that I am pretty serious
about this calling and mission. Telling you my plans for the next three
months has helped me see my purpose for the next two transfers.

There is a scripture found in the Doctrine and Covenants section 84 verse
33-34, that have really helped me stay focused and keep myself from being to
trunky. When my last companion went home I was probably the trunkiest that I
have ever been, and after studying this section I have found my peace and
have been able to stay focused. In verse 33-34, it gives a list of things to
obtain and do in order to be found as the elect of God. It says that those
who are faithful in receiving the two priesthoods and magnify their callings
are sanctified by the Spirit, unto the renewing of their bodies, and become
the sons of Moses and Aaron and the seed of Abraham and the church and
kingdom and are the elect of God. To make a long story short, I want to be
faithful and magnify my calling so that I can be called the elect of God and
be sanctified. So, that scripture tells me that I have to live my life in
such a way that the current calling is the most important thing until the
calling is over. Basically, I am not going to slack off because I'm coming
home soon, I'm going to live the rest of my mission the way I have lived it
so far untill the end when I am released, and when I am released I will be
able to move on.

I learned an important lesson this week. I learned that as a leader I will
sometimes be called to do things that will not bring me the most popularity.
We taught the mission about the importance of setting goals, making plans,
and being held accountable. We tried to help them gain a vision of the
purpose of weekly planning and daily planning. It wasn't the most fun of
all the Zone Conferences that I have been involved in, but it was certainly
one of the most powerful ones. I have gained a testimony about the
importance of setting goals and making plans, and being held accountable and
we tried to convey to the missionaries the importance of all these things
and the roles they will play in their life as a missionary and to their life
after the mission. I have learned that if I don't set goals or visions for
myself, I will go nowhere.

I don't have much else to say. I think we talked about it all on the phone
this morning. I love you family. It was really good to hear all your voices
today,it really helped me out.

Love,

Elder Kelly Conrad

No comments: