Monday, August 2, 2010

FW: phone etc. info.

Dear Mom and Dad 02 Aug 2010

So, we just started writing our leaders and president on the computer
today and I will be taking pieces out of it and showing what all I write
about in them. So here's how I started my letter this week:


So, we found out this week from our ward mission leader that the ward
hasn't trusted the missionaries for a long time here because they feel like
the elders have baptized people who they thought weren't fully prepared.
Which I can see why, out of the past 24 months there have been six baptisms
here and out of all six, none are still active. Every baptism that the
elders have had here that weren't counted with these six, have all moved on
into other wards shortly after their baptisms. It's a really unique problem
because they have some of the best elders who have come through here, but I
can see that those elders did missionary work without the members and
neglected to pay heed to the members and their concerns. I feel like my time
will be spent correcting this challenge and the style of leadership in the
zone leader companionship to correct some other concerns in our zone.

Our only light of hope is the D. family. They have a date for the 28 of
August. This isn't a date that we are forcing, but a date that they are
fully looking forward to. Now, with the mentioned above challenge of the
ward's concern about converts, the ward is having an issue with this family
getting baptized. It kind of frustrates me because I see how the D.'s are at
teaching appointments and how sincere and intent they are in joining the
church, and yet the ward has concerns because Brother and Sister D. aren't
the most out going of people in church. It's sad that they can make a
judgement call like that. I even struggle with having to meet these people
and getting to know them and I am a missionary! I am just praying for the
D.'s to get a chance to prove themselves to this ward. I am also praying for
a chance to prove myself to this ward and show them how wrong they are
because they are the ones that need to be on board for missionary work to go
any where here.
You know where the problem is when the missionaries are baptizing and the
converts are going to different wards. The last baptism we had here,
Channing M. is his name, is so solid that he already has money saved up to
go on a mission in a year. The elders taught and baptized him, but he didn't
stay in the ward the elders serve in, he is going to the singles ward. Its
hard to explain over my email all that is going on that would have me make a
comment like this, but it is what I have observed. I'm not blaming the ward,
just being honest with what I observe. Now that I know more of the problem,
I can begin slowly solving it. My vision for this area is a tighter bond and
connection with ward leaders and members. We have been able to get some
trust back through dinner appointments and the members are talking about us,
in a good way; but we still have our work cut out for us. We have two great
chances this week to prove ourselves to the ward leadership. On Wednesday,
we have a lunch appointment with our bishop, then after that we are meeting
with our ward mission leader; two perfect time's to be supportive of what
these leaders want from us, and show our willingness to do it. I can't see
anyone being added to our investigator pool until we focus and begin working
on the ward trust issue. As we slowly gain the wards trust back we will see
people being added to our teaching pool.

This is fun, its testing me and helping me see what I really learned from
my mission.

I Love you family and thank you for all that you are doing for me!

Love,

Elder D Kelly Conrad

PS. I have packaged up my box and will be seeing today how much it till cost
to have it sent home. I will get back to you next week about how much and
see about sending it then. If its less then what is in my account right now
I will send it today. I will be on fro a few more minutes if you want to
respond back to this PS.

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all
copies of the original message.

No comments: