Monday, September 29, 2008

FW: Lots of answers!

Its funny because when I was thinking about what I was going to write today I started to think that I haven't done a good job about telling you about where I'm serving and what goes on down here, so here goes!
Just some info about Springdale AR, the Springdale stake that I'm serving in was just created 8 months ago and has eight missionaries serving in it. There is one companionship that is Spanish speaking, another who speak Marshallese and my companion and I and two others who speak English. My district leader is Elder Wride who is a Spanish elder who's been out for 20 months and is from Spanish Fork, UT. I went on exchanges with him on Friday and I learned so much from him. Part of the exchange is that we teach each other a principle. I taught him about having faith in Christ and how we obtain it. He in return taught me what it truly means to be quick to observe. It is a two part principle, we must watch and observe, and we must also act according to what we have observed. For example, if you observe the law of tithing and fasting you are doing it. Another principle that I got from this is that if we observe, or act in faith, you will gain more faith because you have lived it. This is true with anything, if I want to have faith in Jesus Christ I need to act in faith. Elder Bednar says it best in one of his talks, some times we must step into the darkness in faith, and that's when we gain more faith. It's from the talk on seeking learning from the Spirit, or something like that. Another cool thing, Elder Bednar used to be the stake president over the Rogers Stake which used to cover my area until it split. Some of the people in are branch have met him and talk about when he was still their stake president, its way awesome!
Also Wal-Mart's head quarters are here near us. Tyson's chicken's plants are all around us and all there chicken farms too. Think of G-way real quick; think about standing on the side walk watching all the cars go by. Now imagine that every other car is an eighteen wheeler with a 50 foot trailer behind it. That's what I see every day! We also had a huge bike rally here this past week; some 10,000 bikers were here from all over riding all sorts of tricycles and bikes. Every where we went is was loud!
The weathers pretty nice, the first week I was here we had a lot of rain and wind from the storms, but other then that it's been nice. I just missed all of the humidity, and I am truly grateful for that. But when it rains here there is no tree that you can stand under that will stop you from getting socked! I have a testimony of it! Me and my companion got stuck in one on Sunday last week and stopped under a tree. The water comes down so hard and so fast that it just goes right through the trees.
Springdale has a wide variety of people; there are a lot of Hispanics, and Marshallese people here. It has its higher class and lower classes, but we are serving mostly in the mid to lower ranges.
We just had our zone conference this last Saturday, and I was told this morning that I am going to be meeting with President Seal on Thursday. Elder Wride happens knows who Jim Marino is. That's way sweet that you knew him Mom, I hope I get to meet him.
On Preperation day we start the day as normal, we have a work out gym here at our apartment which we go to every morning at 6:15, and then we have personal study and companion study. We then do laundry and clean the apartment and come to the apartment office to email, and that's where I'm at right now. Later we will go to Wal-mart and see about buying food. We will most likely look around and think about buying food and walk out, we are kind of tight on money; you know how it is being at the end of the month. We will gain a testimony of fasting this next week, Lol  we are going to play basketball later today, but we have the option to golf, the apartment has an 9 whole course around it and we can golf for free. We are going to golf next week when the Spanish elders move in with us.
But on a normal day and after we have our studies we pretty much have a full day of appointments. We don't really knock doors, we have a think called OTM's, Open Thy Mouth, which is basically going to people who are outside an talking to them, we share the message about Jesus Christ, or about the Restoration and see if we can come back for an appointment. OTM's is something we can all do I figure, just have faith to open your mouth and let the Spirit guide you.
I'm getting feed pretty good here, the members of are branch are so awesome! Most of them are converts themselves and really help out in the work. We had over 50 people at the Jarretts baptism last night. We baptized Elvis and Rosanna Jarrett and the members have helped them so mush. Fellowshipping from members is critical in missionary work. I can't even begin to explain how important it is. Think of this analogy, how would you feel if you walked into the church and nobody talked to you, and you felt way awkward, would you want to go back to that church? Its goes along with the lines of making some one feel like they are home, and that's what we teach and want to have people feel. We want them to feel like they are at home when they come to church, because they are home.
Well my hour is up, ill be writing more in letters, and sorry if some of what I wrote makes no sense. Keep me in your prayers. I love all of you and pray for you.

Sincerely
Elder David Kelly Conrad

No comments: