Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My day as a missionary

Alrighty then, sorry for not writing the other day we had a zone conference up in Rogers the other day so our preparation day was moved to Tuesday so that's why this is late.
Well live for me is good down here, I've been learning lots still and have been having a lot of experiences that I cant even begin to tell you all about, but what I will do is give you a general idea of what I have been doing for the past 7 weeks I have been a missionary and what I will be doing for the rest of my mission.
At 6:00 am my companion and I wake up and say a prayer together, and then we have personal prayers. we get dressed and ready to go to the work out gym they have here which is way sweet, they have several tread meals and a full set up dumb bells and every machine imaginable. So we work out for an hour then go back to the apartment eat, shower, and get into our cloths and prepare for personal studies. This is my favorite part of the day; we get an hour of personal study which could include reading from the Book of Mormon, Preach My Gospel and the other mission library books. We have a huge stack of old ensigns and I like to go through them and pick out old conference editions and read articles out of them. So after that hour we have Companionship study and go over what we studied in the previous hour, and make lesson plans for people we are going to teach that day. We outline what we feel like we need to teach them and what commitments we are going to leave with them. At 10:00 we head out on our bikes to our first appointment and move on through the day, as best to our plan as possible. On our ways to appointment we stop and talk to everyone, when we contact someone on the street its called an OTM, Open Thy Mouth, which is kind of hard. I have had a lot of fear over being rejected at first but with a lot of help that fear is going away. I have only gone tracking once while I've been out and that was on exchanges with the Spanish Elders who just moved in with us. SO through out the day we have several people to meet and check up on. We bike or walk every where and met a lot of people that way. We come home for lunch at 12:00 and check the mail and then go back out and follow the planned out day as best as we can. We may meet with 3 to 4 families and at 6:00 we either come home to eat, or a member has signed up to feed us. We have meals for most of the month and when we do we talk to them about missionary work and try to give them a desire to do missionary work. We are going to start asking the families to create a "Family Mission Plan" and show and help them with that. After we eat we will get dropped off at our apartment and get picked up by our exchange and go to the last two appointments for the day. We get home somewhere around 8:45 to 9:10. the first thing we do when we get home is plan out who we are going to meet with the next day and call them, along with calling the dinner appointments and exchanges to make sure that they are still going to follow through on their commitments. After that I will wash the gel out of my hair and get rid of the part that is required for us missionaries to have. I will write in my journal and get ready for bed. We will say prayers together and then our own and get into bed before 10:30. So that's my day in a nut shell, that's really my mission in a nut shell, lol.
Well mom I love you and the whole family and know that you are in his watchful eye.
About the AlphaSmart, ill just use batteries, but I need the data transfer cable, once I get that my letter will be filled with more details and will help you all track what's going on down here with me. This coat will be ok once I get the sweaters you ordered for me, it got warmer this week so I've been doing ok. Mom thank you for all that you have done for me and what you are doing for me now, I love you and am proud to be your son.

Love
Elder David Kelly Conrad

P.S, sorry I didn't answer all your questions but I'm kind of rushed and had to type something fast. I'll try to answer more next time, sorry if it's a little frustrating,

No comments: