Tuesday, September 8, 2009

FW: Trying to keep didligent!

Things are going well here. WE have been pretty busy with exchanges with other missionaries. Tomorrow President Merkley will be coming to our district meeting. The next transfer will start the 27 of September. Things are going to get kind of crazy next transfer because we will have 3 sets of missionaries in our ward! President Merkley is thinking about splitting the area that we have into to and having another set move into the ward. Hopefully it won't over tax the ward on exchanges and dinner appointments.
We have finally been able to get a hold of Sou G.and taught Tido and his family, Sou is Tido's mom. She just got a new job last week that has her working every day from 9 am to 9 pm and she doesn't get Sundays off. But we finally got to talk to her and she has pretty much demanded Sundays off, or she is going to quit! She is so sweet! Tido is going to get baptized the 26th of this month along with his little sister Erica who is turning 8 on the 22nd.
Hilde B. fasted this week about the Book of Mormon and the Word of Wisdom. She is part of the ward already, but all she needs to do is getting rid of the cigarettes and coffee and she will be solid! So she is fasting and praying about it, along with reading the scriptures daily and coming to church; it's just a matter of time before she will be worthy.
I think I talked about Mary S. last week. She is a black lady who has 12 kids and can't read. We have given her some tapes that have the Book of Mormon on them and she has been listening to them. Last Sunday in gospel principles, while I was teaching, I asked her how she could know which church is true, and she said, "I already know, it's this one!" It was music to my ears! We are going to go see her later today and make sure that she has batteries for her tape player.
I have often thought of my experience in Mountain Home. I have come up with several thoughts; for one thing it has set the standard for my whole mission and life in being obedient. It also helped me learn the importance of being humble and diligent through tough times. It also showed me how missionary work will go no where with out members help. If a ward isn't going to take care of those that the missionaries' are teaching, then the Lord is not going to give blessings in the way of converts, plain and simple. This is what happened in our case.
But get this; Miami is on fire right now! I called and talked to the zone leader who covers that area, and they told me about everyone they are teaching in Miami and all the baptism dates they have set. Everyone that they are teaching and baptizing is all the people that I found and began teaching! It was so wonderful to hear that news, it really strengthened my testimony and made me happy!
Things are ok with me and Elder Buhler, there is still room for improvement, but I am working on it. My goal is to set the example and have a standard and not let it lower or slip. It will push me and it will push him.
I can stay a zone leader my whole mission, or I can go district leader, or I can go back to being a normal missionary, it's all up to President Merkley and the needs of the mission. More then likely I will be staying in Fort Smith for another transfer with Elder Buhler then be moved to another zone to be a zone leader again. But even that's not set in stone, that's just what normally happens.
My goals this week are: Focus on what matters most, become more obedient, and teach 40 lessons and have 140 OTM's. I have several other small goals, but these are the big main ones. I have really become focused on goals lately, setting small goals to help me reach a big goal. Its funny because I even tell Elder Buhler what my goals are for him every week, like today I told him that my goal for him this week is to get him organized, prepared and to be more confident in himself. Another small goal we have for him is to always keep his eyes on the road when driving. Its funny!
But that's all this week, I love you Mom and I thank you for all that you do for me!

Love your son,
Elder D. Kelly Conrad

No comments: