Monday, February 22, 2010

FW: 18 months gone by! Elder Kelly Conrad

Mom and Dad 22 Feb 2010

This week has been a good one. A lot of growth has
come between Elder Hancock and me. We have had several break through that
have helped out our companionship.

I learned something about myself the other day while talking to
a missionary. This missionary at the beginning of their mission wrote down
in their journal three things that they vowed to never do as a missionary.
The first thing was to never be a senior companion, next, to never serve
with an older missionary, and third they did not want to serve on a
university campus. When talking to this missionary they had ended up doing
the first two things, and said that going through those things had made them
grow. Now because of somethings this missionary is now serving on a
university campus. I have thought about what this missionary said and have
come to the conclusion that I have had a secret list of things that I have
vowed never to do. I now see that these past few transfers have tried me in
those areas. I have learned the most valuable thing that I could ever have
because I was tried enough and humbly did what I vowed never to do. I guess
you can relate it to Abraham having to sacrifice Isaac. Abraham could very
well have promised himself that he would never let anything bad happen to
Isaac, and when the Lord asked him to sacrifice Isaac it really tested
Abraham's faith. It helped Abraham see what he was capable of doing. So I am
learning that the things that I don't want to do, and the things that I
don't want to changes will be what I am asked to do and change in order to
become more like Christ.

Communication is a wonderful thing within any relationship, it
really does work miracles. My testimony has really grown of this principle
this past week. We have a thing called "Companionship Inventory" which is a
step in our weekly planning session. It's a time where you talk about the
problems in the companionship. You talk about each others strengths, and
somethings that might be triggering you, or things of that nature. I have
always dreaded these sessions. But this past week I have learned the
importance of them and see how beneficial they are in relationships. So I'm
glad that I have learned this lesson.

I got the chance to go back to an old area and go on exchange
with one of my old companions last week. It was a real eye opener to several
things. I'm learning more and more about the Atonement and how it really
amends things that have been done wrong. I guess when you look back at your
life you can see how you could have handled things better and wish to have a
second go at things. I bet that's how Nephi felt as he was praying in 2
Nephi 4. He looked back and saw what could have been done better but an
important thing that Nephi knew was that Savior's Atonement would amend what
had been done because of his faith in Him. That's what happened to me as I
went on exchanges and saw what I could have done better with my time in the
area and with my companion. It is only faith in Jesus Christ that can allow
the amending of wrongs.

So that's what I'm learning now. I have a lot more to learn
before things slow down.

I love you and am very grateful for your support!

Love your son,

Elder Conrad

PS My release date is August 26. That will be the day that I will ether fly
home or be picked up. If you can't come pick I up that will be ok. I am way
excited about the future, there are going to be a lot of challenges, but I'm
willing to do what ever it takes.

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all
copies of the original message.

No comments: