Monday, July 5, 2010

FW: Elder Robbins

Mom and Dad 4 July 2010

I think having Elder Robbins come to the mission has had the
greatest of impact on my mission. After what he taught and I was taught
later from the doctrine he taught I have changed my views on every aspect of
my life. Elder Nelson taught us when he came that the seventy are just like
the apostles and have the same ability to teach and deliver messages as the
apostles do. Essentially they are sent out by the apostles and are given
their charge and they are equaled to the tasked. He taught us for three
hours on Tuesday, and then for another three hours on Wednesday. I can't
cover all that was taught here in my email because of the amount, and
quality of it. I wouldn't be able to do it justice either. I will fill up
the rest of the tape I made after Elder Nelson came with details about Elder
Robbins coming. I tried my best to prepare for these meetings and I believe
that the Lord has blessed me greatly. Things just clicked. Things that I
have believed and thought my whole mission were verified all in these two
sessions of him teaching. I'm not saying that I knew everything that he
taught, but he confirmed a lot to me. I now have a better vision of how to
teach and how to help people come to Christ.

On Saturday we went to Sister West again for dinner and taught
another one of her friends. It was one of the best lessons that I have ever
taught on my whole mission. In section 50 it talks about the ordination of
an elder and what they are called to do; in this lesson I experienced what
this section teaches. We taught by following the Spirit and seeking what we
had to do in order to help this young lady come closer to Christ. We didn't
follow a lesson plan, or going through all the doctrines of the first
lesson. But what we did was teaching her something and asked questions and
adjusted our teaching according to her response and what we discerned what
her needs and desires where. It's so hard for a missionary to follow the
Spirit out here in our mission because of a strong desire to see others
progress and change leads the missionaries to manipulate situations and use
their own wisdom to achieve the outcome that they desire instead of what the
Lords desires. When someone gets so frustrated about getting someone to the
point of baptism by doing things that the Lord clearly teaches against in
section fifty by manipulation they are looking for recognition through a
number, or baptism and are clearly missing the vision of missionary work. I
think the Church is catching on to how missionaries are more or less high
pressure salesmen and not teachers of the gospel and grasping the spirit of
this work. It's very evident to me by the changes that Elder Robbins
announced to us. There are now eight lessons that are specific to the
learning of the missionary. They are directed to teach a missionary what
their purpose is and how they accomplish what they are called to do without
the use of manipulation.

I don't know if I am going to be here still for my last
transfer. I had an interview with President Merkley this past week and he
asked me what I wanted to do my last transfer. Though, after today's
meeting with him I don't know if I am going to get what I told him, but
that's ok, because I will be needed either way.

I love you family.

Love,

Elder Kelly Conrad


NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all
copies of the original message.

No comments: