Tuesday, November 10, 2009

FW: New things

Nov 9, 2009

Well things are going good, I am with my new companion and things are great. We are unified and are on the same page. I knew that if I were to serve with him that he would be my most unified companion because of the exchanges that we have gone on these past few transfers.
My last week in Fort Smith was my busiest ever. We had Bre Smith's baptism on Thursday which was a night mare. Thirty minutes before the baptism while we were at home preparing to go Elder Buhler turns to me and asks me, "is the fount full?" which lead to a series of freak events that lead to a very spiritual evening. If we had a video recording our last week in Fort Smith it would have made for an awesome movie.
I really miss Fort Smith and the people there, I'm so glad that I was able to gain so many friendships there. I was really blessed by the people there and with out their help I wouldn't be where I am at right now. Over these past four and a half months I have gained some of the choicest lessons that have changed the outcome of my whole eternal character. I feel better, I'm more confident and I have gained the vision that I have been searching for my whole mission, now it is my task to share that with other missionaries.
These past few days have been very interesting. I am being put through several new challenges that are stretching me again and they have almost gotten me to unlearn what I have just learned. As I review the past I think of what it felt like when Elder Buhler first came in and I felt the burn of the trials and it triggering me and made me anxious. When thinking about that I now can handle the new challenges with a more level head and am very patient about things. When ever I am put through a new challenge or have new feelings I have taught myself to just sit back and be patient. Things will always work out in the end as I seek to do what is best. I learned the other day that everyone will have their own "lost 116 pages" moments. This lesson has really helped me out in understanding how the Lord treats us when we fail at something. Understanding the relationship with God and us is a very valuable one and it has been the source of a lot of my learning lately.
I'm still searching for my place here, and trying to see what it is that I can do to benefit others. I feel faithful and hopeful about the future.
Elder Clinger lives in the apartment complex with us and it has been a real eye opener for me to be going on exchanges with him these past few days. On the week ends we go on exchanges with the other New Haven Elders and he is one of them. I have been able to see the growth that has happened in me since I last served with him. We taught a young black man named Teven who reminds me a lot of Bre, he is humble, willing to do anything to get closer to the lord and is one of the elect of God. When we taught him we were going over the Word of Wisdom, which was kind of a touching matter because when we went up to his house we met him outside on his doorstep smoking, so it was setting the stage for what could have been an awkward lesson if prior lessons went completely understood. But as we went along with the lesson Teven was more concerned about eating a very little meet then giving up smoking! He said he would follow the law so that he could be baptized. When the lesson was almost over I asked him, "Why would it be important to follow this law?" the next question I asked was, "Who is it that gave us this law?" that started another lesson where we taught him about the role of a prophet and how it is that he receives the righteousness of God and teaches it to us, we used Romans 10 to teach it. Teven is willing to follow the Word of Wisdom all because he felt and new that what we taught was true. After the short lesson out of Romans I asked him why he thought I had taught him about the role of a prophet and he answered saying that now he can teach his friends why he follows the Word of Wisdom, and that the law was given by a prophet. It was a learning experience for me.
I won't need my winter cloths for a while, the weather is still very warm here and it will be for another few weeks. I'll let you know when I could use them.
That's all for this week, I know I didn't answer all of your questions but there will be a hand written letter sent out this week with those answers.

Love your son
Elder D. Kelly Conrad

No comments: