Monday, November 30, 2009

Conversion, The Spirit, and Personal Revelation!

Mom Nov 30, 2009

On Thanksgiving we played football with eight other elders and some members till we had our Thanksgiving dinner with President Merkley and his family. Football was a blast because Elder Harrison was there and he taught me alot about football and it reminded me of last year in Har-Ber when we played football and he taught me how to throw. It gave me time to just have a life and think about the past fifteen months and all that has happened in them.
We only had one dinner appointment so I didn't eat as much as I did last year. After we ate we watched a Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas musical which has really set the tone for the season for me. I think my new favorite song of all time is "O Holy Night". After we watched that we played basketball with the Merkleys which was a blast! President Merkley guarded me, which was really shocking because he's sixty two years old and is five foot six and super thin, but he put up a really good defense. It felt like I was playing basketball with a stake president and I was shy about playing hard, but he wasn't, so it made things fun. I love President Merkley!
So after this we went to a members home and played Mormon Mouthful and some other team games with the family and Elders, Harrison, Fellows, Clinger and Whiticker. It really helped me feel like I was back in a family again and opened my eyes to some things I want for my family.
I have recently been reading and studying about conversion, the Spirit and personal revelation. All three are very important in bringing someone to Christ, which is my purpose. I was with a younger missionary the other day who was teaching the restoration, and doing a very good job of it, but things just didn't feel right.The investigator had read the selection from the Book of Mormon the elders had left their last visit and she explained how she felt while she read. As the lesson went on we understood why things didn't feel right, it was because we needed to teach the investigator how to recieve personal revelation so that she could gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon for her self. What she decribed about her emotions while reading should have been an answer to the prayer about the Book of Mormon, but she didn't realize that it was the answer. So we taught her how to pray and how she would know if her prayers were answered and told her that it was going to be answered by the same feelings and emotions she had while reading the Book of Mormon the first time. Half the time missionaries are telling people what they know and not helping them learn it for themselves. There is a big difference in telling someone that they have recieved personal revelation then helping them understand for themselves that they are recieving personal revelation. "If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lfe time." I want to teach others how to recieve personal revelation so they don't have to rely upon me, buy rely upon God for guidance. That is what it means to always rely on God.
Everything else is going good. I would use those supplements if you sent them out. I have been really good about keeping a good eating habbit even with my crazy schedule. My excersizing hasn't suffered to much because we still get to do it in the morning.
Thats all for this week, I love you family and I'll be praying for Cori.


Love, Elder D Kelly Conrad

No comments: