Monday, December 7, 2009

Focus and the Book Of Mormon! Elder D. Kelly Conrad

Mom Dec 7, 2009
This week has felt like a month, but then it felt like it was only a day long. Things are weird like that when everyday has some important event happening.

I had my first experience teaching through an interpreter the other day, which was a very special experience. I was on exchanges with a younger missionary who was telling me about this new investigator named Benjamin and how he doesn't speak English, and that a member was going to be there to interpret for us. I had no idea how to handle the situation but as I struggled under the conditions of being with a younger missionary and trying to figure out how to teach very simply and then have some one translate for me, I was blessed with the know how to get things started.

The first thing I felt was that everything was alright and that we needed to say a prayer and get started. As the prayer ended the next things was given to me, and that was to draw out a simple diagram of Jesus Christ and show how the Priesthood was given to Him and the three things that come with having the priesthood. After Bro Sherwood, who was the translater, and I asked some questions to clearify somethings we then went on and taught the apostasy and the restoration using the same diagram, showing how Joseph Smith recied the priesthood. We then watched the Restoration DVD in Spanish which was really special. The part that really hit me was how connected Bro Sherwood and I were while teaching, part way through the lesson he took off and said everything that I was thinking, it wasn't that I understood what was being said but that I could hear what was being communicated and felt the Spirit there. Preach My Gospel says that you know you are doing something pleaseing to God when you feel the Spirit while you teach, and this was one of those experiences.

Something that I have started to do these past few weeks has really strangthened my testimony of the Book of Mormon. I read a talk about receiving revelation, and some other ones about studying by faith and I have come up with what I'm calling "My mision Book of Mormon". Basically I have taken a floppy copy and have begun reading it from the beginning and have been follow every cross reference that I come across that seems interesting to me. I have learned more about the settings and the geography of where the Niphites lived and some of there doings. This has really helped me learn more in depth, and has strangthened my testimony. I have been reading and watching for stories that teach about the principles of faith, it has really taught me a lot. I know have a little better understanding of somethings. I got the idea from a man the other day that told me about how he read the Book of Mormon in reverse order; starting with Moroni, and then reading Ether, then so on. He said that he gained a better testimony of the Book and some of the things taught in it. So I took his idea, looked where I was at and thought about what might be more meaninful to me, and came up with this idea.

That's all for now.

Love your son
Elder D Kelly Conrad

No comments: