Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My lesson about goals--Elder David Kelly Conrad

Dec 21, 2009

Today was a very nice day. The temperature was in the high fifties and it made for some great basketball weather. I have to say that other than studying my scriptures, teaching lessons, and helping others become converted to the gospel, basketball is my favorite part of the missionary week. It really helps me de-stress and release the built up energy that isn't used throughout the week. We had two guys there today play with us that were friends of some single ward brethren; we committed them to come back and play next week with us. I am hoping that we can have these two guys invited to some single ward activities and somewhere down the line get the chance to teach a lesson or two. That would be really neat.

I am slowly learning more about my role now in the missionary world. Last transfer I searched everywhere for ideas on how to be more effective, and create the greatest ripple that I can. I guess you can say that I was trying to force things instead of waiting and being patient. All I could do last transfers was wait for things and it really made things challenging. I have leaned heavily on a lesson that I learned at a zone conference, which has brought new understanding to my life; that lesson taught is found in Psalms 37:3-7. The lesson was this; I am to prosper in Gods way, and that way is to delight myself in doing well to others, committing my way to the Lord by trusting, resting, and waiting patiently for Him. If I do these things I will be given that which I desire. It's just like the Nephite Disciples in 3 Nephi 28. They had been proven in all things, and had done all things in Gods way, and Christ asks them what it is that they desire, and it is granted unto them. There have been times in my life before my mission and during my mission where I have felt like I was being asked, "What is it that ye desire of me?" and at those times real goals and vision were set that I knew I could obtain. These goals have been very real, and very achievable, but after every one of these moments of setting goals, I have also had the understanding given to me that it wasn't going to be easy. I share this with you to help bring understanding to the next paragraph.

Early on in my mission I saw how important it was to be unified with companions. After reading from Preach My Gospel and seeing what it teaches about companionship unity, I have had the goal, or desire that I would at some point in my mission have a companion where he and I would be so unified that we would create the greatest ripples yet to be seen on my mission. After one of those moments where I was asked what I desired, I expressed this desire. When I tried to envision where and when that companion would come, I saw that it would be in the distant future and that I was to have a lot of trials and testing before achieving my desire. With the coming of Elder Hancock, I am seeing some of this goal and desire come to pass. There will need to be some changes here and there on both our parts, but we will be unified, I can really see the potential. To sum up the lesson that I learned from this experience in one sentence would go like this; Goals are reachable; it's the getting there that stretches us. These are just some of the things that have been burning through my mind.

That's all for this week, there might not be a lot to it, but this is one of the most important lessons that I have learned on my mission.
Love,
Elder Kelly Conrad

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

No comments: