Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Head Games!! Elder Kelly Conrad

Dec 15, 2009
This past week has been a very sobering experience. With everything that is going on around here it's hard to have time to think about much, and when there is time I feel like I could us the time for better things. But I have noticed something as I have reviewed lessons from my mission that brought learning. I see how throughout my mission I have been tested in most of the Christ-like qualities written in the Doctrine and Covenants.
When I figured this out I was trying to see what Christ like attribute I was going to work on this next transfer and while assessing myself and seeing where I am at I came up with what I need to focus on.

I have noticed my thoughts and how I process things needs some help, so this next transfer I will be working on virtue. I always thought virtue meant something different but as I have studied it I see what it means to "let virtue garnish thy thoughts." After reading section 25 and learning what was going on with Emma Smith and looking to see why the Lord tells Emma to "walk in the paths of virtue" I have come to a better understanding of what virtue is. Emma was complaining and the Lord told her to be virtuous. Being Virtuous means to retrain thought based on a strict moral code. I have this great book call, "As a man thinketh" and I think it will be coming in handy as I try to strive to become more virtuous. I am striving to keep good wholesome thoughts, true doctrines and principles running through my mind at all times so that I can better train my thoughts and be less critical of others. There are a whole set of events that have lead me to the conclusion that this is what I need to focus on, and it feels like a good and worthy goal.

I got a call from Elder Buhler this week and he told me some very good news. He told me that Dustin was smoke free, and that he has a baptism and confirmation date set! Dustin is a part of the family that I taught in Springdale when I first came out, that Elder Harrison found again later in Fort Smith and half the family was baptized. Dustin will be baptized on Dec 26! Elder Buhler has been doing a wonderful there in Fort Smith without me. I really miss him and the Fort Smith ward!

We had stake conference here in Tulsa this past Sunday, and I think it was the best one that I have ever been to. I tried my best to prepare myself for it and had several things that I was looking for and I was given plenty. The Stake President taught us very well and issued several goals for the next six months that he believes will strengthen the family. The Family is under a huge attack and I'm really starting to see that I teach people and see what is really going on. The other day while teaching a family about all the commandments that they are promising to keep when they are baptized and confirmed we could tell that things weren't right, and that what we were teaching was what was needed. Things were switched up and we ended up reading "The Family, Proclamation to the World" and teaching them their roles in the family. It was a very positive experience and it really opened my eyes to some things. My mission goal now is to always strengthen the family, no matter who I am teaching, this will be my focus.

My new companion is going to be Elder Mitchell Hancock, who comes from Washington, Utah. Figures I get another Utah companion, I don't know what it is with me serving with all these Elders from Utah but at least he is from Washington. We are going to be good together, which is good because we could very well be together for the next six months!

It doesn't even feel like Christmas yet. We have been playing Christmas music and getting things decorated but the feelings aren't there yet. Maybe it will come after transfers this Friday. I think I have decided that I will wait for Christmas to open the presents, I have no real idea what they are and I'm way excited for it! I hope to gain more patience while waiting to see what they are.

It became very cold this past week and I barely made it through. We had some extra winter clothes in one of the Elder's apartments which helped out a lot. I'm glad to have my winter clothes now. I don't really know what I'm doing for Christmas. I think we are going to some member's homes and doing the same thing we did for Thanksgiving. I'll be sending one of my memory cards home this week and you will see some of the things we did for Thanksgiving.


I better get going, love you!
Elder Kelly Conrad

PS. What's with the Dog?

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

No comments: