Sunday, January 3, 2010

FW: All my needs Elder D. Kelly Conrad

03 Jan 2010
New Years was ok, we had breakfeast at the mission home with a lot of the missionaries that are serving here in Tulsa, then later in the day we went to a baptism that Elder Madsen and Elder Erbe had. Elder Madsen was my MTC companion, and we are serving around each other here. He is another one of my best friends that I have found out here, I respect him a lot and turn to him for ideas and when I need an honest opinion on something.

It seems like my whole mission has changes with Elder Harrison and Elder Jacobson leaving. It's like I have lost all familiarity, and have had to deal with another transition. But things are getting back to normal.

President Merkley is the most humble leader that I have ever observed. Not saying that I have never met anyone that hasn't been as humble as him, but he is the first one that I have really come to observe with my new understanding and life. There is a great difference in his leadership style and I really like it. One of the greatest turning points of my mission was my second transfer in Fort Smith while I served with Elder Buhler. At Zone Conference we were instructed by someone other then President Merkley on what were appropriate preperation day activities; we were told that if we were to do anything other then our normal activities, ie, shop, email, clean our apartment, or write letters, that we were to have the mission presidents permission. Well, if you can remember we played basketball every Monday there in Fort Smith, and with this instruction I was being told that I wasn't suppost to play basketball unless I had permission. This caused a problem, so after the meeting I found President Merkley and told him about basketball being played every Monday, and asked his permission for the activity. His response to my question was what brought the great turning in my life. He said, "I trust that you are a righteous leader." He continued to not give me a direct yes, or no answer, but told me that with the trust he had in me he knew that I would make the right choice. He allowed me my agency to choose what was right, he could have easily told me that I was alright, or not alright playing basketball on Mondays, but he left it up to me to make the choice on whether or not it was ok to play. With him not giving me an answer I was put into a situation that reqiured some thought and action on my part. Instead of being spoon feed an answer I was being asked to seek revelation to suit the needs of my situation.

I have had the goal my whole mission to learn how to better follow the Spirit and receive revelation, and here was the trial that brought the know-how for these goals. After a lot of thought, and pondering I figured that basketball was an ok preperation day activity and we kept at it every Monday till I left. This choice brought with it several blessing, and I know now that I had made the right choice. Now because of this experience I seek for revelation for myself, and for my stewardships before I turn to someone else and take the easy way out. President Merkley has taught me a lot about agency these past few months and how to recive revelation.

Things are transitioning well with Elder Hancock and I. The other day we had the companionship melt, down, or the "stormin" part of the transition. He is struggling to find his place around here, and has the mind set that if we aren't solving all the worlds problems at once then he is doing a horrible job. So it made things a bit tense, but all I can do is be patient, and help him through it. I understand what he's going through because its what I went through with Elder Begay.

Other than that things are going well, the weather is good, my clothes are still fitting me, my shoes are still holding together, and I'm getting all the food I need. All my needs are being taken care of.


Thank you for all that you do for me!
Love,
Elder Conrad

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

No comments: