Thursday, January 28, 2010

FW: Recognizing the Spirit Elder Kelly Conrad

Mom and Dad 28 Jan 2010

So things have been pretty busy and that's way I haven't written my email yet.

We were supposed to have transfers today but we had to move it up a day because we are having some bad weather coming. We might be having an ice storm and a snow storm after that in the next few days. It should make things fun for us these next few days with our meetings that we have coming up.

I learned a lesson this week. As I have reviewed my life I have tried to look at my successes and have tried to think of why I had those successes. The reason why I was thinking about those things is because of a Preach My Gospel study found in the Recognizing the Sprit chapter. In the study it asks you to take a look and read your journal and review the times where you have had spiritual experiences and times where you have felt like you have received revelation. It also asks you to figure out the events that lead to that event and what took place after that event. I read the Doctrines and Covenants 138 and looked at what it was that President Joseph F. Smith did to receive that revelation and what happened after he received it. So now I have been looking for such events in my life and it has really helped me understand how to better follow the Spirit. So I have noticed how certain things in my life have prepared me for future events. As I reviewed certain lessons that have brought me greater understanding and a stronger testimony of certain parts of the Gospel I notice what I did to prepare myself for those lessons, and what happened after those lessons.

Here's an example; I can remember the night when my testimony of the restoration grew. We were teaching a recent convert and her family and friend. We had been struggling knowing what to do to help them out, and I had been praying that we could help them know that the Book of Mormon was true and that Joseph Smith was a prophet. So we planned to watch the Restoration with them. We taught them very briefly about what the movie was about and tried to help them see the importance of what we were going to watch. As we watched the video and we got to the scene where God the Father, and the Son, Jesus Christ appeared to the young man Joseph Smith I received a confirmation that those events really did happen and that Joseph Smith was called of God. This event prepared me for other people that I was to teach latter. It also helped in learning other things about the Gospel.

Sometimes I am amazed at what we are put through and what limits we reach as we go through trials. If you ever want to know if God is taking care of you just take a look into your life and review the hardest times you have had and look for what it was that brought you true relief. Doing that proves to me that He is mindful of me and strengthens my faith so that I cant face current or future trials.

That's all I have for this week. Thank you so much for all that you are doing for me, and for your letters of encouragement.


Love
Elder Conrad
PS, I'm going to try to get a hand written letter out this week.

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

No comments: