Monday, April 27, 2009

Week of Good Goals!

Things are going great here in Miami. We had our Zone conference this past Tuesday which has really helped out a lot. The Lord really showed Elder Goodale and me what we needed to work on this transfer while we are together. We set some goals on how we are going to plan better and how we are going to teach more using the Book of Mormon, and show how it compliments the Bible. We defiantly received some inspiration and revelation Tuesday that will help me out for the rest of my mission and life.

The lord has been thinning out our teaching pool and is filling it with people who are truly prepared for learning. This past Wednesday we taught a 20 year old kid that has no clue about the Bible, or even Jesus Christ, but is really wanting to listen. We taught Dustin along with his brother and sister who are twins and we are going back this next Tuesday to teach them again. Teaching them was a blast because I got to see how well I knew the gospel. I have this quote that I put on my planner that reads, "The best measurement of how well we understand the doctrines of the gospel is how clearly and simply we teach them and live them." As we taught Dustin and his seven year old brother and sister (Kolob and Courtney) it was a real test to teach to their understanding and revealed to me that I understood the gospel more then I had judged myself to. Even finding Dustin was a test, when we knocked on his door he had no interest in what we had to say and when we would ask questions he was short with us, but I asked him a question that really made him think, I asked him what was his family life like when he grew up. Dustin said a pretty nasty word to get his point across of how terrible it was. After his reply we bore our testimonies about how it wasn't supposed to be like that and that the gospel and the message we share helps us to change so that are own families can be better. After we talked a little Dustin warmed up to us and his heart was softened.

We found one of the sweetest families this week! The Lord is really helping us out and is putting us where we need to be to fulfill His purposes. We met Jason last Wednesday and he said that he's been looking for a church to join, so we are going to help him find the right one We went back to his place and taught him and the spirit was there guiding the lesson. He understood the whole thing and he understood the need for a restoration and that we need prophets and apostles. Just as we were getting to the end of the lesson his wife came home. Her name is Savannah and is just as prepared as Justin is! When she got there my thoughts were like, "Well great, I hope this goes over well, nothing weird about walking in and having two "religious" guys sitting in your living room." Justin invited her to listen and Elder Goodale taught her a brief summery of what we taught Justin and she understood it as well. They really warmed to us, even their kids loved us. At the end of the lesson the kids all had things to show us. They had a Bible story book and other things that they wanted to show us. Teaching the restoration to some one is one of the best ways to make friends. I learned that from Elder Patterson, he's an assistant that I look up to; he said that teaching the restoration builds a relationship on a sure foundation. And I see this true principle everyday as I make new friends while teaching the restoration.

I'm learning lot! This area is so sweet and I love the members. This morning we were talking about some ways we can make the ward stronger and get them to do missionary work and we are going to try our best to build up the Miami ward. Well that's all for this week, I love you and thank you for all your support!

Love,
Elder David Kelly Conrad

PS, Megan, that would be sweet if you could send me like a pedigree chart or something as you do the genealogy work.
PPS, I've been meaning to asked dad about how his side of the family joined the church and where Grandma and Grandpa comes from and their story.
PPPS, I'm all out of stamps, I'll be using my last one today.

No comments: