Monday, March 15, 2010

Traps of the mind Elder Kelly Conrad

I copied and pasted the talk that he mentions here in his email for anyone
interested. Carol Ann

Mom and Dad 15 Mar 2010

Things went well this week. The weather has turned and we are
seeing the sun more, which really makes me happy. Tulsa for the past few
weeks has been a very cloudy and dark place and its kind of made me sad, but
now the suns out! I think we are going to go to the park today and play some
basketball with some other Elders.

I gained a better appreciation for the Apostles and the wisdom they share
with us this week. I have been having another one of those low times that
seem to take me to the breaking point and I have been searching for answers
and understanding. I somehow got a hold of a talk given by Elder Neal A.
Maxwell called "But for a Small Moment" that has really helped me change my
perspective on everything. The talk was given in a BYU devotional. He begins
by talked about his belief that this is a chosen generation and that we will
have to live through some of the most challenging times because we will be
involved in some very important things. He talks about these challenges and
how we are going to have to face them; he gave a brief list of traps that we
can fall into that would impede the process of overcoming these challenges.
As he went over all the traps I realized that I have been stuck in several
of the traps he mentioned. One of the greatest traps that I have been trying
to overcome is the seventh trap that he describes. It is the trap that I
have been in my whole life! He says the trap come from only have one source
for satisfaction. When something changes and there is a loss of the source
that we draw our satisfaction from we are left feeling confused, lost and
discouraged. The way his teaching applies to me is that I have been counting
on only a few certain things for satisfaction and they have worked, but now
because of change, those sources aren't there. I am just beginning to slowly
grasping other sources for satisfaction. Reading this talk has changed the
way I look at everything and has helped me put things into proper
perspective. I have set some goals and made plans on how to become and stay
a better rounded person and not be too excessive in anything. It was a very
eye opening read.

Things are going well, I am keeping my exercising up and my diet healthy and
I have seen change in things.

I can't tell you how happy I am that you aren't planning on selling the
house! I'm glad that you made that choice!

Love

Elder Kelly Conrad

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all
copies of the original message.

No comments: