Monday, March 8, 2010

working together Elder Kelly Conrad

Mom and Dad 08 Mar 2010

The week went well, we had a lot go on and with transfers coming
up this week we have had our hand full. I'm staying here with Elder Hancock
in Tulsa for this transfer, and I'm excited for it. We have really been
working things out and figuring out what it is that we are to do be learning
form each other.

We went and taught Amy this week. Things were a lot better, the
lesson was more Spirit lead and we were able to get across what it was that
she needed. We taught in unity and we were more focused. She is so sweet!
She is one of the Elect of God that will be a Kingdom builder. The reason I
know that was because of how our first lesson went with her. Elder Hancock
and I were totally dis-unified and wanting to take things different ways and
it really clashed in the lesson. Even with our clashing she still was very
excited about the Church and the Book of Mormon. She even told us that she
had been praying about the Book of Mormon before she even met with us. I'm
way excited to see how things go for her.

This clashing lesson created a rift in our companionship. You
can say that there is a lot expected out of us, and along with that we
expect a lot out of ourselves, which can very easily create frustration with
each other. More often then not, like in most companionships, one companion
takes it out on the other companion and vis vesrsa. This has been the case
many times for us. We have worked a lot though and have begun to understand
that we are too high strung and that if we aren't watchful of our thoughts
and actions that we will allow satan to enter in the companioship and reek
havic. Never in my life have I had to be so focused and mindful. It seems
like we need the most protection that we can get and if we allow ourselves
to think critically of each other we will be left alone "to fight against
the pricks." Well last night while taking our Sunday night phone calls we
had a "sit down" where we laid things all out. It was very helpful for the
both of us. We were able to talk things through and speak our minds and feel
like we were being listened to. The things that I have been learning while
serving with Elder Hancock are helping me overcome all the barriers that I
have had before my mission. The learnings will be the principles and tools
that I will use for the rest of my life!

Here is a funny experience that I had on my exchanges with Elder
Erbe. While we were finding we went to this door that we felt impressed to
knock. A young lady whose name was Rebecca answered. Normally while
introducing myself to others I can think of a question to ask that will get
the person to lighten and open up, but this time I got nothing after
introducing myself, and after an awkward moment all I thought was to ask
her, "How old are you?" It wasn't my best first impression. She responded
and told me that I can't just go around and ask women how old they are. I
tried my best to explain away why I asked that by telling her about how
being younger gives us an opportunity to learn more. It was the lamest
explaination that I could have ever given and I could tell that she wasn't
falling for it. It was a good thing that Elder Erbe spoke up soon and saved
the conversation, because I was failing horribly. When we were done with the
conversation we left her with a Book of Mormon and had set up a return
appointment. It sure wasn't my most tackful moment, but it helped me
realize how this is God's work, and that no matter how silly His
missionaries are He can still use us all. It's the heart that matters, not
necessarily the lips.

That's it for this week. We have a lot going on this coming week
but I'm way excited.

Love

Elder Kelly Conrad


NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all
copies of the original message.

No comments: